As per many faculty requests Northeastern State University has acquired software that increases the security of online assessments. It is called Respondus Lockdown Browser and is immediately available in Blackboard. It is being installed across campus on public and lab computers. Students may also download the software and install it on their computers. We do *NOT* recommend using it for final exams as it is a disruption to patterns you may have already established in your courses.
Respondus LockDown Browser is a customized browser that increases the security of online testing in Blackboard. When students use Respondus LockDown Browser to take a Blackboard test, they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, access other applications, or close a test until it is submitted for grading. Tests created for use with Respondus LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with standard browsers either.
Respondus LockDown Browser functions much like a standard browser, but some options have been removed or
work differently. The list below highlights some of these differences.
• Modified Toolbar - the condensed toolbar includes only Forward, Back, Refresh and Stop functions.
• Test Mode - tests are shown full-screen and cannot be minimized, resized, or exited until submitted for grading.
• Disabled Controls - all printing, keystroke combinations, screen grab, function keys, and right-click menus have been
• Links - links to other web servers will open in a new, secure window and prevent browsing beyond that page.
• Blocked Features & Applications - the Start button (Windows), system tray, and menu bars have been removed.
To set up a test in Blackboard that requires students to use Respondus LockDown Browser, follow these steps:
1. Make sure the test has been deployed in the Blackboard course.
2. From the Control Panel in Blackboard, locate the Course Tools section and select the link Respondus LockDown Browser.
3. A list of deployed tests will be displayed.
● Tests labeled with “Enabled” require students to use LockDown Browser
● Tests labeled with “Not Enabled” don’t require LockDown Browser.
4. To change the setting for a test, click the Modify Settings button and select the desired option:
● Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this test
● Don’t require Respondus LockDown Browser for this test
THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED BY CTL - Optionally you may enter a test password that students must enter to start the test. The Respondus LockDown Browser will prompt students to enter the instructor-provided password before proceeding with the test.
5. Click Submit to confirm the new test options.
IMPORTANT TIP: If students indicate that they are unable to access a test because they are being prompted for a password (or that the password provided to them doesn’t work), it usually indicates that they are trying to access the test with a standard browser instead of Respondus LockDown Browser.
Student Quick Start Guide - a quick start guide for students is available at http://www.respondus.com/download.
As always, feel free to contact me if you have any questions, comments or concerns.